This DIVA is currently on the run. In the last three days I have been in Salt Lake City at CONduit, New York City at the airport, Syracuse NY at my Mother's house and Toronto Canada, to see my Mother-in-law. Today I head back to Syracuse. Talk about on the run, 2 timezones, several dinners and lunches with awesome people and some serious jet lag. I know its not like flying to Asia or anything, but still it's a lot of traveling. I have a mini-diva with me also. My 6 year old is keeping up like a true DIVA. She swims, chats, smiles and enchants all the relatives. It makes life easier to have a charming companion on all your travels.
CONduit was a blast. I mean really where else can you go in jeans and t-shirt and feel like the complete weirdo of the group? Yep that's right the annual 'Evil Overlords of CONduit' Writer's Conference is well worth attending if for no other reason than the photo ops. Believe me there were lots of them. From the random crazy stunts like authors kissing fans on a dare to the life sized Darth Vader, its worth seeing. The chain mail, leather, feathers, men in tights, women in beards and masked overlords were running completely amok.
One great highlight for me was the reading by Dan Wells. He teased all of his expectant fans with a snippet from Mr Monster, the sequel to I'm Not a Serial Killer (Serial Killer is available thru Amazon UK.) I have met Dan before and while he seems like a mild-mannered-guy-next-door type, I will never be so taken in again. Beneath the facade of young dad and quirky writer lies the creepiest most brilliant wordsmith I have ever met. His lyrical voice and captivating descriptions bring green sparks of envy to the eyes of all aspiring authors who have the opportunity to experience his writing. Check him out at http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net/.
To all the cool people I met, here is a GIANT shout out from Canada. Graham you're a stud. Debbie thanks for being a true marine and 'never leaving a mom behind.' Lene you're the reason I went in the first place, thanks for the kick in the rear. Aprilynne you're so cool they're going to have to name an ice cream flavor after you. And the illustrious Dashner, fellow traveller, I hope you are taking on Manhattan in true Dashner fashion. Karen it was fantastic to see you. To all and sundry other great people I met and reunited with at the brief but fascinating CONduit, see the above shout out. You rock.
Okay I am hitting the road yet again. Perhaps naming this blog 'DIVA on the Run' was more of a jinx than the metaphorical statement I imagined.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


High five from Lehi, UT!
ReplyDeleteHahahaha "authors kissing fans"...gotta grow your reader base somehow, right? ;-D Had a blast, Donna! Thanks for the shout-out.
ReplyDeleteOh by the way, were you the one who took a picture of my face post-Kiss? I want to get my hands on that.
Graham you are awesome and I do happen to have a pretty smiley shot of you immediately following your close encounter. It's on my phone and I will figure out a way to get it to you.
ReplyDeleteLene, have fun in Lehi.
I made it safely back to NY. And now just have the rain and dress shopping and my baby sister's wedding to content with.
If you can send me the picture through a text message, e-mail me and I'll give you my phone number. graham p bradley at yahoo.
ReplyDeleteLOVED hanging with you at CONduit, Donna. Look forward to seeing you again, hopefully sometime soon. Are you going to the BYU Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Conference? I can't remember if I asked you already. If so, see you there, if not, well, you're missing out! lol
ReplyDeleteHave fun in NY!
I wish I could go to the Writing for Young Readers Conf. grrrr!! I just can't this year. Have fun Karen!
ReplyDeleteI will, but wish you were going to be there too. You're always so much fun!
ReplyDelete