
Some days are just really worth getting out of bed for. Like today. This morning I had the super cool opportunity to go and see the Royal Palace Guard from London(Let's say that again...LONDON)England. They gave a short drill presentation at the high school near my house. Did I mention that I live in UTAH? I know its a random happenstance, but it was cool. The red coats(and camo), clicking heels, and bearskin caps. Did I mention the accents? Hmmm.
What's the point? WELL, during a Q&A with the guards someone asked how the Buckingham Palace guards can stand so still with that huge bear skin cap on their head in the middle of summer. The commander said, "That's what we call discipline."
Discipline. The three highest ranking guards talked about how the royal guard is primarily an infantry troop. All ceremonial duties are secondary. So discipline is what keeps them alive in the field and what makes them strong during lighter duty.

We are all battling something. It could be depression, anxiety, a dirty house, a bad habit, 30 lbs that won't let go of your thighs, job stress, or dandelions. Something in your life is most likely a challenge for you. For me it's a number of things and here is what I have found. When I gain discipline in one area of my life.
For instance, if I discipline myself to write everyday then in a strange synergy (completely unplanned by me), I find that my dishes get done everyday too, or I run on schedule. Like dominoes knocking into each other, when I make one commitment to be disciplined then other areas of my life feel the ripples.
I think the point is that if we face one battle and give it our best, then we tend to give our best to more and more things in our lives. Like the soldier who trains to stand invisibly still to avoid being seen by an enemy can also stand perfectly still in front of a tourist.


Hey there! Your site is rather cool! I enjoyed the walk today. Let's do it again.
ReplyDeleteHave a b-a-u-tiful day!
Yay! So glad you found the site. It was nice to get out and walk today. I'm sure we'll talk soon.
ReplyDeleteAh! London! We have to go. You MUST be my tour guide....so, discipline, huh? Where have I heard that before? *taps her chin in thought* Don't worry, I'm on the band wagon. :)
ReplyDelete