
Happy Wednesday!!
Daffodils are my favorite flowers. They weren't always my favorite so if you are my Mom or an ex-guy friend and have heard me say that the ever classic and elegant rose is my favorite flower then it wasn't a lie. In 1998 however, my tastes changed and for the last decade (man, that sounds bad) my hands down favorite flower has been the lovely and also classic Daffodil. Why? you ask. 'What changed?'
ENGLAND changed. On a cold March day suddenly Hyde Park was not the beautiful but barren open space in the center of London (and across the street from where I lived at the time.) One morning there were Daffodils. And then everything seemed right with the world. Don't get me wrong, London was fantastic even in the snow (and that's saying a lot for me) BUT with the daffodils came the sunshine and the spring and for me a year of adventure that culminated in December when I married a Canadian (in Las Vegas) the day after Christmas.
Trust me on this, it was a fascinating time in my life and it all started with the daffodils, even though I didn't meet my husband until the fragile yellow flowers had all passed away and the heat of summer had replaced them. Still that Spring and those harbingers of sunny days changed my outlook on life. I'm certain that I have often walked by the tiny moments that could have changed my perspective. I'm glad that I was paying attention as Hyde Park transformed that spring and I look forward to the day I can return with the people I love and share the magic with them.
Until then I have Daffodils planted in front of my house and my kids are very protective of them. Yesterday my dear husband got a little careless with the weed wacker and had to sheepishly admit that he had decapitated one of my daffodils. My youngest son immediately spoke up and said, "Yeah, Dad killed you fower!!" I have since forgiven him. And today I hope we will all notice the daffodils and realize that Spring is on the way in for real. I for one am ready to put the long cold winter behind me and move into the fun of summertime.


This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI found your blog, Donna!! :-)
ReplyDeleteLove the pink, and I look forward to reading more of you.
I wish spring flowers would be beautiful like this for longer...
-Jewel
Thanks Jewel. I agree.
ReplyDeleteI have to try planting daffodils in my yard this fall. Unfortunately, I don't have the green thumb my mother has.
ReplyDeleteCheck out the Boston cream pie I made. :)The one in the pic is for the school bake sale, but I made another one for my family and I can't wait to eat it. :)
ReplyDeleteI saw the pie and looks A-Mazing as usual. Send me one...pretty please. Just kidding I totally don't need the calories. See you soon though and we will bake then.
ReplyDelete